Architect/ Designer I (Santa Cruz, CA)
Responsible for particular parts of a project within parameters set by the project leaders
Studio location - Santa Cruz
Nielsen Studios is a group of innovative design thinkers and creative problem solvers; a cross-disciplinary architecture firm spanning two family generations. Using our knowledge and skills as architects and designers, we apply our problem-solving approach to the built environment to deliver unique high impact results for our clients to help them reach their goals. We are a high-touch, client-centered studio. With studios in the east bay and central coast, Nielsen Studios services the bay area and beyond with an array of project types that include professional services, retail, hospitality, residential, planning, and urban design.
We are looking for an Architect/ Level I Designer with the ability to handle a range of assignments in terms of scope and size and daily responsibilities that can vary greatly. You will work with a team of designers and architects in bringing design dreams to life. You will produce technical documentation and communicate project progress to team members to ensure our projects exceed client expectations.
Nielsen Studios offers health benefits, 401K, paid holidays, vacation and paid time off. We also offer bonus opportunities and a 9/80 work schedule resulting in every other Friday off.
- Recently licensed architect or non-registered graduate with 3-5 years experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Interior Design or related field
- Ability to communicate clearly in written and verbal form with project team
- LEED accreditation preferred
- Working knowledge of Archicad or Revit
- Knowledge of building codes, standards and building structures
- Basic technical understanding of architectural design, interior and furniture design
- Experience with project management software, such as Archioffice and Basecamp a plus
- Experience with office software, such as G Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Evernote, Sketchup a plus
Super Star Abilities
- Ownership and accountability for firm-wide success
- Excel in a team-based and fast-paced environment.
- Superior leadership, communication skills and highly organized.
- High-level of design competence and expertise in the following:
- Must understand and be able to articulate the Brand aesthetic
- Must possess an elevated design sensibility and knowledge of architectural and interior design details.
- Must have strong programming and space planning skills.
- Create a sense of trust and urgency with clients
- Anticipate potential challenges or obstacles and timely identifies and implements solutions.
- Think strategically and participate in executive level planning.
- Attention to detail.
- Possess initiative!!
What You Will Do
- Work collaboratively with project team to develop and execute appropriate design solutions for projects
- Work with Project Architect to ensure integrity of the design based on client’s vision
- Use Archicad to model designs and produce construction documents
- Prepare graphic materials for presentations to clients
- Prepare study models; reviews bids and contracts related to project for content and accuracy for final review
- Research alternative solutions for budget constraints
- Perform site inspections for verification of design intent
- Coordinate with consultants, contractors, fabricators, and regulatory agencies to meet overall project objectives
- Review shop drawings for design intent, review mock-ups, materials, and finish samples submitted by project contractors